Vermilion Parish Court House
in Abbeville, Louisiana
The Corner Stone was laid in 1891 and was
demolished in 1952. The site is the same
as the present courthouse. Based on the 1947
Ford, this picture was taken after the war.
This picture was taken from the 1987 calendar
published by .The First National Bank in Abbeville
This is one of the few pictures that
the lion's head on the front wall of
courthouse. The previous courthouse,
a wooden structure, burned to the ground
on the night of April 7, 1885, destroying
many of the courthouse records.
police jury temporarily established
offices in a building built by the
on the site of the present Masonic
until the 1891 courthouse was completed.
This courthouse was designed by John
and his partner Mr. Pulford, and was
by C. D. Stewart and Douglas Southwell
New Iberia. It was demolished
way for our present courthouse, which
completed in 1953.
By Gary E. Theall on behalf of the Vermilion Historical Society